Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Tara, over at scoutie girl, wrote a post today on being stuck, feeling fear, and not giving into depression. she was candidly honest about her own struggles with depression and how she has pushed past them. so for we scout wednesdays, tara asked us to share our own struggles, whatever they may be.
I have never really posted about something like this before, but i felt like i have something to share about this that may help someone out there in blog land!
I feel like my childhood was normal and I had lots of friends, boyfriends, and I thought I was pretty happy!
When I got married, my husband was very supportive and encouraged me to be creative and find something I liked to do. I started with Tole Painting, then Scrapbooking, sewing, making jewelry and cards.....the list goes on.
I tend to be a little obsessive when it comes to trying new things....I want to buy EVERYTHING you could possibly need for the craft and more. I don't know why, that is just how I am. So I end up buying all this stuff and then I am too afraid to actually try it! When I do try something new, if I fail, or mess it up somehow, I get very discouraged and give up.
This has been my life and still is like this a little. I think having KIDS, an ETSY shop and a supportive husband helps A LOT!
You may be wondering what this has to do with FEAR or DEPRESSION, but it really is crippling to be so afraid of trying anything new for fear of failure. It doesn't help that I have severe PMS 3 out of 4 weeks of the month!
So here are 5 things I do to let go of my FEAR and DEPRESSION:
1. I believe in a loving Heavenly Father who I know loves me and wants me to succeed. It's not always easy to remember this and I struggle with this every day!
2. I am better at not giving up than I used to be. I try and remember that all these creative, talented people out there, failed over and over before they finally succeeded!
3. If I start having negative thoughts, I immediately try to either do something nice for someone in my family, or serve someone I know....even someone I don't know! By the time I have done this, I usually have forgotten what negative thing I was thinking of!
4. I exercise. I go for a run. It is proven to help depression!
5. Pray. OK, I know some of you may not be religious and don't pray. Well, advice to you is meditate. Take time to just sit and take deep breaths. Think positive thoughts!
I know these 5 things are nothing new and you have probably done some of them yourself at sometime in your life. They work for me and I am getting better! I am not nearly as unhappy and moody as I used to be (ask my hubby!).
I am an easier person to live with than I used to be. I have a long way to go....but now I have HOPE.
How do you let go of fear? How do you have HOPE?