Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A day in the life of an Adult with ADD


Let me begin by saying… I don’t expect you to read all of this, I know I wouldn’t (if you’re anything like me, you won’t sit here long enough to get through half of it), just wondering if any of you have days, weeks or
you live like this? I love the creative side of my brain, but the other side is driving me crazy.  

I debated about whether to even post about this, but I think there may be someone out there who needs to read this.  I am 43 years old and I have ADD.  There, I said it.  Here is what my days are like:

6:15am:  wake up, get kids to school, eat breakfast, put the clothes in the dryer that I forgot about and left in the wash the day before.
8:00am: exercise (if I don't do it now, it won't get done)
9:00am:  check my e-mail, my blog, and usually spend at least an hour looking at blogs and answering e-mails.  
10:00 or so:  take a shower
10:30am:  think about the things I should do, then decide to get on the computer again.  Sometimes I start a craft, but I don't usually finish it.   Maybe throw a load of laundry in the wash.

12:00: eat lunch while I am on the computer checking e-mail and my blog. (I  know. I am a addict)

1:00: think about all the projects I want to do, but don't actually start anything.  Feel overwhelmed by some of the things I should be doing.  maybe remember to put the clothes in the dryer.

2pm: Think to myself, "What happened to the time? I can't believe it's almost time for S to come home!"
Look at the pile of stuff in my bedroom against the wall and think about how I need to do something with it. I decide I'll do it tomorrow.

2:30:  Take a nap until S gets home.

Are you thinking, "Holy cow, that woman is REALLY lazy!"  Well, that's what I think sometimes.  I really have good intentions about what I am going to do that day, but it never really works out.  

This is totally me!  
You should see my house.  Can you say Clutter?  I look at it and just don't know what to do with it, so I do nothing.
I hope I don't scare anyone out there, I actually function pretty well,  it just gets old.  I am tired of forgetting stuff, blurting out stuff, not finishing a task, or not even starting it, having a low self-esteem, etc...etc....etc...
I was diagnosed about 6 years ago, along with my then, 8 year old son.  He was put on medication which has helped him tremendously.  I tried the medication, but I didn't like the way it felt, so I quit taking it.

Many of you know I started College last Fall and I have been doing really well.  But recently I have felt so scatter brained, forgetting more, and having a hard time getting ANYTHING done.  So I went to a Dr. He gave me a written test to take and did confirm that yes, I do have ADD. 

So now I am taking some medication for ADD and so far it is working GREAT!   I don't feel so exhausted all the time, my mind seems more clear, and I feel more driven to get things done.  It's not perfect, but things are getting better.
  If you think you might have ADD,  or you have a kid or a spouse with ADD,  you should watch ADD and loving it?!  It was recently on PBS.  It was awesome!   Here is a quote from the show:

When ADD is diagnosed and treated, life can become very sweet. A liability can become an asset. As one expert explains, "This is not a diagnosis to fear. This is a diagnosis to understand and embrace."
I am learning to live with ADD and I know others can too.  I hope this helped someone out there.  It helped me to write this!




11 comments:

  1. Thanks for being so honest! I LOVE when my "blogger heroes" (as I like to call them) are so candid. It's just nice to know that yall are human too :)

    I swear you just described my day to a tee! (and thank you for reminding me to put my clothes in the dryer!). I was diagnosed with anxiety and have been taking medication for that (which helps a little)... but after reading your post, I am wondering if I should go back to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgosh...you are my twin!!!! I am exactly like this....only also hyper.....veryyyyyyyyyy hyper!! However I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I have the manic days, that are exactly like you just described....then I fall into a funk and can't walsy crawl back out within a day or so....I just never know. I drive myself crazy, I drive everyone around me crazy.....lol. I take meds too....and function fairly well.....Im quite proud of the fact that I have never been found singing Janis Joplin tunes buck nekkid in the treetops at 4am....not saying it hasn't happened....just never caught at it....lol. Most people find my manic behavior amusing, ut it is an exhausting life....but if the alternative is being normal....I'll stay crazy thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing. We all have trials and they are part of what makes us who we are. Some people are better about being open about what they struggle with in life.

    I appreciate this post. It made me reflect on the trials that I have. And that was a good thing for me today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you--I'm glad you posted this!!! I bet it was therapeutic and I enjoyed learning more about where to get help for those who have ADD. I don't think I do, but I do think someone I know may have it! It's helped me to understand more. :) Glad the meds are working--hope they keep helping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog. I love your honesty! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your article has made such a difference in our lives. First, I sent the article to my college freshman. She immediately made an appointment w her doctor, got the diagnosis(off the charts), and is now medicated. I too realize that I have adult ADD...I see it in every room in my house. So it is my pledge to get help and make our lives different. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,

    I don't think I have an excuse of ADD for the stuff I fail to get done on a regular basis. ;) I kinda wish I did. ;) But like you I spend way too much time on my blog, (I'm an addict too) I think parts of your day some completely like mine. But I am due with baby number 2 in seven weeks so I don't feel too bad taking a nap when I feel the need. :) Good read!

    Thanks for linking up at the Share Your Posts Blog Hop! :)

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has 2 Hands!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with what Heather said above. I find myself getting distracted from getting "real" stuff done because of the computer. I'm sure having so many technological distractions in life don't help with someone who is living with ADD.
    My 19 year old niece lived with me when she was in 10th grade and was dx with ADHD. I've seen the struggles first hand with someone trying to get the right medication at the right levels. The originally made her feel "odd" also and she wouldn't take them on the weekends. I suspect that now that she's an adult she isn't taking them anymore.
    Thanks for being candid!
    Tamra, stopping by from the blog hop and Front Porch Reviews (http://www.frontporchreviews.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://dailydigestblogchallenge.wordpress.com/share-your-blog-posts-hop/
    I have always been hyper! I do now as an adult Take paxil to keep me calm. Although I read this http://www.mommyonlyhas2hands.org/2011/10/vaginal-birth-vs-c-section.html
    and realized that my c-section was not so easy. Even as my daughter is 17. She is ADHD and I am ADHD. Go figure...the apples don't fall far from the trees...Bless you and your sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been my life also except I'm 57 and found out this year that I have adult ADD which explains my whole life! I spent most of my life working in the medical field (which I loved but was stressful which makes ADD symptoms worse) but found a library job 2 years ago that fits me perfectly because it is a variety of things to do which keeps my brain occupied.
    With ADD I felt as if sleeping and taking breaks at work were wastes of time! I am now learning to relax and enjoying times of doing nothing instead of wasting my whole day daydreaming. I found books for ADDers on organizing which basically (for us) is decluttering small amounts at a time. It has worked for me but I have also learned to live with my clutter (organized clutter that is) because I NEED to see my things or else I forget I have them!
    I will not take meds because I have learned to function and already do most of the things suggested for ADDers. I am also learning that if I don't get the 10 hours of work done in the 4 hours I have designated that it will still be there tomorrow! LOL People think we are lazy and stupid when we actually accomplish more by breakfast time than most people will do all day. We just try to cram too much stuff into too little time and lose track of time. Relax is my new word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, just wanted to say this a very interesting post. I am also diagnosed with ADHD and have been since I was around 10 years old (I am now 29). I think that it is very important that more people are aware of the daily struggles we go through and this is a great way of doing that. I was actually sent here on a "blog hop" that I found through StumbleUpon and I'm glad I did.

    I do alot of blogging as well....maybe we can trade some guest posts.

    Thanks!

    http://randomanthem.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/perfectistan-how-to-build-the-perfect-country-part-2-establishing-the-government/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments...I love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...