Friday, May 6, 2011

Embellished flour sack towel tutorial

I have made some towels similar to this before, but this one is a little different.  I wanted to share, because I think it's a great Mother's Day gift!

I know it's getting a little late, but you can do this in about 20 minutes!

Here's what you need:

flour sack dishtowels (I got mine at Target 4 for about 3.99)
about 1/4 yd. of a cute material (had this on hand)
1/2 yd. large size ric rack (I had this on hand)
First, I measured the towel and cut out the material a little bigger than the towel.  You want enough extra to fold the material under about 1/4-1/2 inches all the way around.  I ironed the edges, so it would be easier to sew.

Iron edges all the way around.  I also pinned it, so it to make sure it stayed while I was sewing.  I am NOT an experienced seamstress, so anything to make it easier!

Here is what the material looks like after it's ironed.  

Now, sew  the material to the towel.  I used a zigzag stitch.  I love the way it looks!  Make sure there is no raw seams showing.  
I forgot to take a picture of sewing the ric rack on!  Sorry.  Just sew it on using a straight stitch.  There it is!  Simple, but PRETTY!  

I think my MOM and MIL will love these:) 
I may have to make some for myself as well!!
Have a wonderful weekend and a great Mother's Day!!

Linking up at these parties:
Sew Much Ado
Fingerprints on the Fridge
House of Hepworths 
Spunky Junky 
Tatertots and Jello

4 comments:

  1. Oh that dresses up a plain towel so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I was just thinking I needed some cute towels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping over from Feature Friday. I have that same fabric, so I had to have a closer look. Pretty darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out so cute. Thanks for sharing! Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments...I love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...