Thursday, December 30, 2010

I Heart You Valentine Flower Pot decor Tutorial

 I couldn't wait any longer!  I had to come up with a cute Valentine decoration for my house.  I really like how it turned out.  I especially like the fact that I only used stuff that I had around my house and I didn't spend ANY moolah on it! 

Isn't it lovely?  I love how it turned out!  It took me about 2 hours to make.  It's hard to tell, I would do some, then go do something else.  It didn't seem very long though!

Wanna know how to make it?  Here are the directions:

 Supplies:
1/8-1/4 yd of 2 coordinating fabrics
same amount of cotton batting
flower pot
3 sticks cut in different sizes
buttons- I used 6
ric rack
glue gun
Burlap- just enough for 3 small circles
white tissue paper
sewing machine (or you can sew it by hand)
paint- I used Americana and mixed Spa Blue and Salem Blue together
Green floral foam- just a little square block

First, you have to pick some cute material.  I chose MODA Basic Grey's Blush Fabric.  Super cute!  I love the colors.  For the heart shapes I googled heart templates and got tons of different sizes of hearts.  I chose 3 different sizes and printed them out, cut them out and used them to cut out my fabric hearts.


Here is what my flower pot looked like before.  Not too bad, but I have had it stored away for a long time and it was scratched. I wanted to paint it Robin egg blue to match with the fabric!

I didn't do this, but I should have painted the pot first, so it would have plenty of time to dry while you sew your 3 hearts.  I put 3 coats of paint on my pot.  Oh, and paint your 3 sticks! 


Now, sew your hearts.  I cut out the batting a bit larger than the fabric hearts, so it stuck out a little from the edges, then I used pink and red thread to sew around the hearts. 

Next, I cut short strips of large and small rick rack and got glued them on.  Then I glued 1 button on the end of 1 of the pieces of rick rack.  Don't burn your fingers!  That stuff is SUPER hot.

Now, here's where I kinda stopped taking pictures.  Sorry, I got really excited about posting this, I forgot to take the dang pictures!  

When you get the hearts all done.  Hot glue the hearts onto the sticks. I also cut out a piece of fabric and glued it on the back to cover up the stick. 

Cut out 3 small shapes of burlap, and fabric to glue on the pot.  I just randomly cut out my shapes to look kinda like posies (I know, they don't really look like posies). 

After I cut out the shapes, I frayed the burlap a little, meaning pull out some of the burlap so it looks frayed on the edges (I hope that makes sense!).  Now glue the fabric shape on top of the burlap, then a cute little button on top of the fabric.  Glue each shape onto the pot.  I glued on 3. 

Here is a close up of the burlap and fabric flowers.  I also sanded the flower pot a little around the edges and I like how the red came out from underneath, don't you?

Lastly, put the green floral foam in the pot.  I had to cut mine quite a bit to get it to fit.  Then I stuck my cute little hearts in randomly.  To cover the nice green foam, I cut strips of white tissue paper and wadded it up, then set it in the pot.  

Here is a close up of the hearts.  Can you see the very small amount of snow we got overnight?  Yea, neither can I.  But it's there, promise:)

Now, display it so your friends and neighbors can see it and be jealous that you are so crafty!  Enjoy.



I am linking up to these parties:

13 comments:

  1. Way fun! I am excited to make some things for valentines. I will have to try these!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! It's a good change to put away Christmas and begin a lighter, brighter look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love!! Way cute!! I am your newest follower!!

    Simple As 1-2-3

    http://simpleas1-2-3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! I love V-day crafts!

    Also,I know you are a follower of my site so wanted to let you know that I will be featuring some other bloggers on my site! You can go here to enter a creative craft/recipe!

    http://livinglifecrafty.blogspot.com/2010/12/want-to-be-featured-on-my-site.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute project. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute, I'm a new follower and would love for you to follow me back!
    www.lessonsfromivy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Cute! I am ready for Valentines Day as well! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely DARLING! Thanks for the great tutorial and for posting it on Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. Hope you stop by again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one thinking about Valentine's crafts already! What a great idea! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!! This is way cute!! I am highlighting you on my top 10 V-day crafts thus far!

    SIMPLE AS 1-2-3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to feature this on Thrilling Thursday tomorrow. Feel free to stop by and grab and "I Thrilled" featured button if you would like! Thanks again for linking up. Hope you stop by again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are so cute!! i can't believe it's almost time for valentine's day!

    http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally cute! So cute that it made me a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments...I love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...