Thursday, March 17, 2011

SPRING barn wood sign Tutorial

I have been so excited to show you this!  The other day I went to the Salvation Army's 1/2 off sale.  I LOVE when they have their sale!!  It makes me sooo happy:)

So I went shopping and found all of these treasures:

See the sign?  It's really not THAT ugly, but I wanted to make something different from it, so I took my palm sander to it!  All of these goodies cost me about .50-$1.00!  Love a good deal, right??

After I sanded the heck out of it, I spray painted it with heirloom white.
Then I picked out my paint colors:
Folk Art- Sweetheart Pink
Americana- Spa Blue
Americana- Lilac 
Delta- Custard
Americana- Tangerine

Next, I cut out the letters with my Cricut machine.  I used white contact paper and it worked great!  That saves a ton of money!!

After the machine cut out the letters, I made sure I kept the inside of the R, P, and G.  Then I stippled using the contact paper cut letters as stencils.  It went really fast!  I only had to redo the I. The first one was too light, so I changed to Sweetheart pink.  It worked perfectly!

When the paint was dry, I sanded over the letters just a little and over the rest of the sign.  Then I glued some large ric rac on the top and bottom with my glue gun.

Next, I added 3 little ribbon rosette's on each side to fill up some blank space.  The sign already had some wire attached to hang, but I decided to replace it with new 19 gauge wire.

How do you think it looks?? I would love to hear your comments!


I get a big smile on my face when I see it!  I really love the orange ric rac!!

I am linking to these parties:

11 comments:

  1. This is so cute!!! I love the colors you used!! So darling!! :) Wow! I guess I need to get to a thrift store!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it; you've inspired me! I'm going thrifting on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sign turned out really nice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this sign is seriously cute! I just might have to lift this idea from you! And, yes, you could make the placemat clutch on my blog without a sewing machine...just use hot glue on the sides. The placemats come already "lined" when folded. The only thing is that you wouldn't be able to put the magnetic snap it. BUT...you could hot glue a wide ribbon around it...making it tie in a cute knot to close off the clutch. Does that make sense?

    Have a great weekend!
    Irene
    lvcraftygirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute. Such a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love a good thrift day. Cute festive sign! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is really cute! i'd love for you to come link it up at my party today- www.smallfineprint.com
    and any other creations you have of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could thr ric rac be any cuter? Love it, love the whole project. Great job!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I love all the spring colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I totally have a few signs that need to be "repurposed"...you totally inspire me! I am featuring you tomorrow so stop by and say hi and grab a button!

    xoxo
    Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Spring sign! And I like how you painted the letters with the Cricut stencil, and the rosettes look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments...I love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...