Monday, October 29, 2012

Making your own Mosaic Art

Hi all!  My name is Bronwyn and I usually hang out at my blog, Queen B Creative Me.  I am so pleased that Karen asked me to guest post on her fabulous blog while she is on vacation (lucky girl!)

I am currently re-doing the kids bathroom, taking it from a plain, uninspiring turquoise zone (I decorated it originally when I had just given birth to my 3rd child in 4 years - I had no spunk for anything interesting!) to a fun, zippy place that will kick-start my kids for school each morning!

Like many, I have really fallen for the turquoise and red colour-combo you see everywhere these days. Bright and cheery and perfect for girls and boys (I have 2 boys and 1 girl).
I recently stenciled the main wall and switched to bright red towels and floor mat.  I have some framed pictures I'd like to hang, but other than that, there is nothing on the walls. 
 After many months searching out the perfect art for the room, I have given up shopping and started creating.  
That is how I came up with MAKING YOUR OWN MOSAIC ART.



What you will need:

~ to continue with my red and turquoise theme, I chose several shades of aqua and red cardstock
~ an artist canvas (mine is 14"x18")
~ white glue (or Mod Podge)
~ a sponge brush
~ scissors or paper cutter 
~ craft paint in your chosen background colour ( I used plain white!)


1. First, cut your cardstock into 1"squares.  I began by cutting long 1"wide strips then chopped them into 1"squares. 

2.  Paint your artist canvas using your chosen background colour. 

3. The main image in my mosaic is a heart.  To draw an accurate heart shape, I cut one from scrap paper and traced around it on my dry canvas.  I also planned where my turquoise/aqua stripes would go and drew pencil lines for those on the canvas as well.  

4.  Here is where the white glue or Mod Podge comes in.  If you have chosen to use white glue, pour some in a container and add some water.  It should be the consistency of cream.  
Spread some glue/podge on the area where you will begin your mosaic- in my case, the heart.  

5.  Using your chosen colour, begin to outline the main image with the squares.  

6.  Once the outline has been laid, spread more glue/podge on the canvas and add more squares, filling the shape.  Turn the squares until they fit.  You may have to trim some and make some smaller squares.  


7.  Begin filling the background.  I chose to add 3 bands in shades of blue.  A solid background would be effective, too.   


8.  As I filled the empty space, I tried to paste the squares in a brick-laying fashion, overlapping the squares so that they were not glued in a grid pattern.


9.  Once you have glued all of your squares, cover the whole canvas with another layer of glue/podge.  This will seal the canvas and guarantee that the squares will not pop off.  


10.  Within hours your art will be dry and ready to display. 

Here is my mosaic in my children's bathroom:

Thankfully the children are very complimentary about my foray into the "art world."

In fact, my daughter has already requested another mosaic for her bedroom.
  I wonder if I can make Sleeping Beauty out of 1" squares??



I love this!  The blue and red look so great together!!  Thanks so much for stopping by Bronwyn! 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful...from threedawgladydesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun, Bronwyn! This fills the space so nicely and the fact that you made it with your own two hands will make it a much more meaningful part of your decor. The white space between the pieces looks just like grout without all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fabulous Bronwyn! Great looking bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a SUPER cute project Bronwyn! Love it! Your bathroom looks fabulous! I think I might be inspired to try one for Christmas! Happy Halloween! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments...I love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...